The UIS is the statistical office of UNESCO and the United Nations’ depository for global statistics in the fields of education, science and technology, culture, and communication.
The Institute is an autonomous organization within UNESCO. This functional autonomy safeguards the Institute’s independence in developing and disseminating the accurate and policy-relevant data needed in today’s increasingly complex and changing social, political and economic environments.
The UIS has its own Governing Board that consists of 12 international experts, representing users and producers of statistics from different regions and international organizations.
The Board's primary tasks are to define UIS policy and broad functions, as well as to approve the yearly Institutional programme and budget. The Board also monitors, evaluates and provides guidance on the Institute's operations.
UIS Governing Board members:
Members designated by UNESCO's Director-General:
- Ms Alice ALBRIGHT (USA), Chief Executive Officer of the Global Partnership for Education (2017).
- Ms Grace BEDIAKO (Ghana), Consultant, National Development Planning Commission of Ghana (2017).
- Ms Sylvie MICHAUD (Canada), Director General of the Education, Labour and Income Statistics Branch, Statistics Canada (2015).
- Mr Lennart NORDSTRÖM (Sweden), independent consultant (2015).*
- Ms Sylvia SCHMELKES (Mexico), President, National Institute for the Evaluation of Education (2017).
- Mr Mark SCHNEIDER (USA), Vice President of the American Institutes for Research (2015).
Members elected by the UNESCO General Conference:
Mr Azam ABDULLAEV (Uzbekistan), Deputy Permanent Delegate of the Republic of Uzbekistan to UNESCO (2015).
- Mr Khalifa AL-BARWANI (Oman), Acting Chief Executive Officer of the National Centre for Statistics and Information of Oman (2017).
- Mr Rangachar GOVINDA (India), Vice Chancellor of the National University of Educational Planning and Administration (2015).
Ms Anna N. MAJELANTLE (Botswana), Government Statistician of Botswana (2017).
Mr Matthew SUDDERS (United Kingdom), Ambassador and Permanent Delegate of the U.K. to UNESCO (2017).
Mr Pablo TACTUK (Dominican Republic), Director of the National Statistical Office (ONE) (2015).
*Mr Lennart NORDSTRÖM is the Chair of the Governing Board.
Former Chairs of the Governing Board:
Ms Grace BEDIAKO (Ghana) 2012-2013.
Mr Yvon FORTIN (Canada) 2008-2011.
Ms Heli JESKANEN-SUNDSTRÖM (Finland) 2007.
Mr Jozef M. RITZEN (The Netherlands) 2000-2004.
- Mr Jean-Louis SARBIB (France) 2005-2006.